Dead Island 2 is an action role-playing survival horror video game in development by Sumo Digital and will be published by Deep Silver. It is the second main entry in the Dead Island series. It was first revealed on June 9th, 2014 at Electronic Entertainment Expo 2014. Development was suspended from in July 2015 when Yager was dropped from the project due to creative differences. Game studio Sumo Digital announced they had taken over development on March 9th, 2016, but did not mention a release date. The game is expected to be delayed far past its previously scheduled "late 2016" release and has since been completely removed from the Steam store.
However, as of 2019, it's been confirmed that the game is still in development.
According to Deep Silver's statement, the game will take place in Northern California and Southern California back-to-back.
Deep Silver released a statement describing the third instalment in the series:
- Several months after the events on Banoi, the United States military has put the Golden State under full quarantine. Now a restricted zone, California has become a bloody paradise for those who refuse to leave their homes and an action-packed playground for renegades who seek adventure, glory and a fresh start. Combining the classic Dead Island elements of immersive close combat, action and role-playing, Dead Island 2 features crazy, never-before-seen handcrafted weapons and over-the-top characters in taking players from the iconic Golden Gate to the celebrated beachfront boardwalk of southern California’s Venice Beach.
- Jack Black and Aaron Paul are rumoured to appear in this game, however, this appears to be a 'impersonator' for Jack Black as seen here. The impersonator, Mick Wingert, later confirmed his involvement in the game.
As with the first game, there are four playable characters, who each have their own class designation. They are Ryan, the "Berserker" and a former volunteer firefighter, Ashlee, the "Huntress" and a former teacher and party girl, John, the "Bishop" and apparently a preacher, and Dani, the "Speeder" and a stuntwoman.
- Suicider: The Suicider will be large and fast moving. They are like bombs and when shot will violently explode. They have glowing yellow patches around their bodies and are fattened.
- Thug: Thugs will be a lot different than they were in Dead Island and Dead Island: Riptide. Rather than being muscular and slow, they will be enormously fat and around the speed of a Walker.
- Walkers: The most common type of zombie present in previous games.
- Runners: Much faster than Walkers, similar to Infected in Dead Island.
- Crawler: A zombie type that was notoriously missing from the previous games. A crawler would be created when a regular zombie gets their leg(s) either cut off or broken.
A number of weapons were seen in the trailer and revealed on the website these are:
- Branch Saw
- Crescent Machete
- Revolver Pistol
- Molotov Cocktail
In early June of 2020, an old build version of the game was leaked and people were playing it. The build is a version of the game from 5 years ago in 2015, but it shows what was being worked on before the game entered 'development hell'. It shows a small part of the beachfront being complete, even with some NPCs who have dialogue. There were several usable weapons and various zombies to fight. It also showed a few new zombies for the game, as well as a 'dev room' which had all the weapons and items planned to be in the game.
- Oh Deep Silver: Dead Island 2 culled from Steam. Cancelled? on NeoGAF forums
- 'Dead Island 2 Removed from Steam' on HardcoreGamer
- Yes, Dead Island 2 is still alive and it's going to be a "kick-ass zombie game" on Eurogamer